Reliability at 400 Feet: Hazardous Environment Protection for Drones
February 19, 2021
Conformal Coatings for Drones
If you work in drone manufacturing, you know that delivering dependable, high-performing UAVs to your customers requires strategic production methods. Whatever applications consumers may have for your products, protecting your drones’ critical electrical components is a priority.
Whether from humidity, rain, or wet grass, moisture and corrosive elements like pollution can almost inevitably get into drones. That’s why it’s essential to have the right protection to waterproof the drone’s delicate electrical components and ensure ongoing functionality. With the best conformal coatings for drones, you can manufacture UAVs to handle a range of demanding environments and applications.
At HZO, we’re an industry leader that offers customized solutions for your industry’s needs. Our conformal coating products deliver trusted protection and make drones waterproof against a variety of environments.
What Is Drone Waterproofing and Conformal Coating?
Without waterproofing, drones are likely to encounter moisture and eventually have problems with circuit board rust, chemical damage, or short-circuiting. As a drone manufacturer, you need solutions to protect your products and prevent warranty claims and costly repair requirements. You can prevent water and other contaminants from seeping into the circuit board’s delicate components with the right coating materials for drone waterproofing.
A conformal coating is a thin-film of protective material covering the drone’s printed circuit board (PCB) to guard its critical components from moisture. Conformal coatings create a barrier between the corrosive liquids and sensitive circuitry, preserving the drone.
View our video series featuring Stephen Gold on how to become HZO Protected. IoT Connected.
What Components Are the Most Important to Coat?
Knowing how to waterproof a drone according to best practices is essential to protect the device entirely. When applying a conformal coating for a first-person view (FPV) or other drone designs, ensure that you cover all electrical components that are susceptible to short-circuiting or corrosion.
The critical components to focus on coating are:
- FPV cameras: The camera needs a conformal coating to protect its delicate components. However, make sure you keep the sensor coating-free so it functions correctly.
- Power distribution boards: As a critical part of the drone’s operation, the power distribution board needs coating protection for effective operation in any environment.
- Receivers: Receivers should have a conformal coating to ensure they can continue working in any scenario.
- Video transmitters: To keep video transmission working smoothly in harsh environments, apply a conformal coating to transmitters.
- Flight controllers: For the drone to respond to operators correctly, the flight controllers need protection from the environment.
- Electronic speed controllers (ESCs): Controlling the aircraft’s speed is crucial to a successful operation, making sure the ESCs have a protective coating.
What’s the Best Coating for Drones?
When you need the highest-performance conformal coating materials to protect your drone products, HZO’s Parylene coating solutions uniquely matches most drone protection requirements due to their ability to handle various environmental and operational situations and continue to protect electrical components. It also offers high flexibility to work with unusual shapes and ensure sufficient coverage.
If your industry handles bulk drone waterproofing, HZO Parylene offers several advantages to strengthen your products’ electrical components:
- Extreme temperature endurance: Our Parylene coatings can withstand harsh environments and temperature fluctuations to protect components.
- High durability: With electrical components that undergo intense vibration and external forces, Parylene is strong enough to protect the PCB for long-term use.
- Conformability properties: Parylene has a unique ability to conform to a wide range of surfaces and shapes, providing total, uniform coverage for any component.
- Fast application: The coating forms at room temperature so that it can be applied quickly and conveniently.
- High dielectric strength: This material can protect your devices’ electrical integrity for long-term use.
Download our IoT fact sheet
What Are the Benefits of Waterproofing Your Drone?
Conformal coating for drone manufacturing helps your industry protect your products from a wide range of pollutants and environmental components that might cause operational damage. It can also move your operations forward and satisfy consumer demand more efficiently and effectively with:
- Reduced product repairs: You may receive fewer repair requests with high-performance electrical components that keep drones running smoothly even with heavy use.
- Improved brand reputation: When your products operate reliably for a wide variety of applications, you can build trust and loyalty with customers as a manufacturer of high-performance drones.
- Decreased warranty claims: Conformal coatings can protect your drones from various environmental factors and reduce the volume of warranty claims for product malfunctions.
Contact Us for Waterproof Drone Manufacturing
When you need conformal coatings for your drone manufacturing needs, HZO has the right solutions to match your requirements. We offer a wide variety of coating and process automation options to ensure you can protect your products efficiently and effectively. Whatever your operational needs, we can work with you and provide customized answers.
We’re here to help when you face increasing consumer demand for top-quality products that can withstand heavy use and extreme conditions. At HZO, we understand that each customer’s needs are unique, and we have the capabilities to scale and customize according to your requirements. Let us provide the solutions you need to deliver the high-performance drones your consumers are looking for with optimal efficiency.
If you’re interested in learning more about our conformal coating offerings, get in touch with us today.
Without waterproofing, drones are likely to encounter moisture and eventually have problems with circuit board rust, chemical damage, or short-circuiting.
Discover how HZO can protect your product