Visual Journey Through the Evolution of Consumer Electronics
Waterproof electronics. Until very recently those were two words that people almost never heard together. In fact, it wasn’t that long ago that a toilet was a smartphone’s worst nightmare, a tablet couldn’t go near the beach, and wearables weren’t allowed to go out in the rain. Come to think of it, it wasn’t even that long ago that words like smartphone, tablet and wearable were completely unheard of.
Here at HZO, we love gadgets. From the latest and greatest, to weird and funky, you could say we are a bit obsessed with them. And it’s not just providing unmatched liquid and corrosion protection that we love, we love everything about electronic gadgets, even their history.
Today we take a visual tour through some of the most influential and important consumer electronics innovations over the last 50 years.
- 1983 – Sony releases the first “hand-held” camcorder called the Betamovie.
- 1984 – Motorola blows the world away with the DynaTAC. A two-pound wonder that retailed for $4K
- 1989 – Nintendo Gameboy dazzles gamers everywhere.
- 1989 – The laptop computer starts to pick up steam.
- 1993 – Intel introduces the Pentium Microprocessor making personal computers faster and more efficient.
- 1997 – The Digital Video Disc (DVD) is invented.
- 1998 – Apple introduces the first iMac, making it the gold standard for personal computers.
- 2001 – Apple makes music stylish with the iPod.
- 2002 – Microsoft enjoys huge success with the popularity of the XBOX.
- 2007 – Apple changes the cellphone market forever with the introduction of the iPhone.
- 2010 – Rumors and the eventual release of the iPad start to enchant consumers.
- 2010 – Samsung releases the Galaxy, and the “Android Apple Wars” begin.
- 2012 – Pebble “kickstarts” the smart watch and wearble industry.
- 2013 – Google Glass is sold to a few lucky “glass explorers.”
- 2014 – Wearables continue to grow in popularity and the “Internet of Things” gains greater traction.
- 2015 – Apple releases it’s sleekest line of devices yet: the iPhone 6 and the Apple Watch.
Discover how HZO can protect your product